Friday 24 February 2012

Indie/Rock Album Covers*

I have researched album covers from the same genre as Muse to familiarise myself with the typical conventions of the indie/rock album covers: the layouts, the colours, the font etc.
Death Cab for Cutie
Death Cab for Cutie produce more soft indie music as opposed to many other bands in this wide urban music genre, and the soft pastel “neutral” colours used in these album covers help reflect the band’s easy-listening music.  My particular favourite of these covers is the ‘Transatlanticism’ album, because it is simple with a significant image (the bird) being the focal point with a plain and complimentary background.  I also prefer this back cover because the typical conventions (the list of the song titles, barcodes, company information) but formatted in a simplistic way; plus the colour scheme has been kept as well as the link of the red ribbon from the front cover (this is just a feature that works well) keeping the theme with the appeal of the indie/rock audience in consideration.

Gorillaz
The Fray
...... My favourite album cover is ‘Heartbeat’, and not only because it is in my favourite colour, but also because I like the silhouetted unconventional style of band shot – them being “spread apart” – which works well with the actual layout of the album cover design; the border at the top is not a typical feature but works well with the album theme in mind.  The back cover design I like the most is from the album ‘2’; this is my favourite because I love the typography conveying the indie/rock style as well as the of the wall also highlighting this genre more. 

The Kooks

No comments:

Post a Comment